S O L S T A Ð I R
ICELAND SUMMER PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP IN THORSMORK & THE WESTMAN ISLANDS
TUESDAY JULY 17TH - SATURDAY JULY 21ST 2018
THIS IS A 5-DAY PHOTOGRAPHY ADVENTURE IN ICELAND BETWEEN THE HIGHLAND GEM OF THORSMORK & THE SOUTHERN ARCHIPELAGO OF THE WESTMAN ISLANDS!
Have you ever experienced never-ending light? It's quite a trip! imagine, it's 2 o' clock in the morning, & it's still bright outside. Not just any kind of bright, either: the softest, most gorgeous orange & magenta light diffuses through the night. Are you seeing the photography potential? We are willing to bet that you can! Keep scrolling.
SHOOT. EDIT. PRINT: A DIFFERENT
KIND OF WORKSHOP
Have you ever been on a workshop where you left with A3 print of your own work? We suspect not. That's because a lot of photo workshops are led by "fly-in" instructors.
We, as permanent specialists in photographing iceland have all of the physical infrastructure needed to pull off a different kind of workshop.
Here, you get to experience the entire photographic process from start to finish: shooting, editing and then printing your work! Its an amazing feeling to hold something real in your hands, something that you yourself have created.
Everyone who comes on the workshop goes home with an A3 (11.7 x 16.5 inch) print, printed at my personal studio on a professional photo printer and on high quality paper. You will get a hard tube as well so you can transport it safely back home with you.
ICELAND: THE PLAYGROUND OF LIGHT
This is a workshop in honor of the glorious midnight summer light within which Iceland is bathed. Just as Iceland is bathed in glorious, never-ending light, we will be too. This will be a journey through dramatic landscapes, soaring peaks, majestic glaciers & lonely islands. The unbelievable over the Highlands await!
OUR DESTINATIONS IN ICELAND:
Reykjavik, the capital. Our meeting place.
THE SPACE: STARTS & ENDS
The Space is Joe & Gunnar's latest project, conceived & actualized very recently. This will be the inaugural workshop for the Space, & we are unbelievable stoked to get things under way. The Space will serve as our base not just for the beginning of the workshop, but also for the whole of the last day, where we will have an intensive edit-to-print session.
Yes, everybody leaves this workshop with a print: an A3 print of a photo that you have shot & edited during the workshop. The only hard part is going to be choosing in amongst the hundreds of bangers you'll have from 4 days on the road with us!
THORSMORK: THOR'S WOODS
A valley, carved by glaciers, wrought by volcanoes & shaped by light. Thorsmork is a Highland oasis hidden behind two great glaciers & volcanos, including Eyfjallajökull, of 2010 eruption infamy. Canyons, waterfalls, peaks & immense networks of glacial rivers await in this highland wonderland. This is without a shadow of a doubt some of the greatest hiking in the world. Add this dramatic, ever-changing landscape the eternal light of the midnight sun, & you have a match made in heaven.
VESTMANNAEYJAR: ISLANDS OF WONDER
An archipelago, forced up from the North Atlantic; a volcanic landscape with towering cliffs, raging coastline, active volcanoes & of course Icelands famous Puffins. Watch the sun rise on the eastern side of the island, &then set on the western side. The Westman Islands are a photographic wonderland, & it will be ours for the taking. Our journey on the ferry to the Westman Islands will mark the second part of the workshop, & we will make our way out of Thorsmork & a short drive to the ferry port from the mouth of The Valley.
WHO ARE YOU?
Solstaðir is open to 8 photography enthusiasts, where we will focus on capturing the immense landscapes as well as dramatic, situational portraiture that surround us in here in these remarkable locations.
We will be providing a very small group experience. With three instructors, our ratio of 1:4 is very low. This means that we will be able to focus our attention & expertise on technique & locations, thereby making sure that our participants get the right shots.
THE SHOTS THAT YOU CAME OUT HERE TO GET:
YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY TEAM:
A Londoner by birth, Joe originally came to Iceland in for University, without really knowing what he was getting himself in for. He then discovered Iceland's remarkable landscape, & developed very curious eyes. Through the lens and many years of exploration all over Iceland, Joe connected with the landscape in a profound way, & seeks to show others this remarkable land.
Coming straight out of the Pacific North West, Charlotte is also British Photographer that has been blazing her way through the world of photography and social media for years. She is enormously talented & will bring some fresh eyes to the landscape with on this workshop. She's a seriously rad chick that loves hiking, climbing, tattoos, toast & feathers as some of her favorite things. Certainly an incredible co-host!
Gunnar is acting as a special guest on this workshop, where he will be with us on the first & last day, sharing his expertise, editing & printing skills. Icelandic by birth but raised in Denmark, Gunnar threw in the towel on the corporate life in Denmark to pursue his dream of being a photographer. Two years later, he has resolutely achieved that dream, embarking on a life-long mission, exploring Iceland ever since. He places adventure at the heart of his lifestyle, and his expertise will be invaluable over the coarse of the workshop.
- Dates: July 17th-21st 2018
- Price: €3499 / $4125
- Places: 8
- 10% of profits going to the Arctic Fox Center in the Westfjords, a center dedicated to the education & preservation of the Arctic Fox, Iceland's only native terrestrial land mammal.
- Breakfast on day 1 through to day 5.
- Lunch at The Space on Day 5.
- Group feast at a specialty restaurant in the Westman Islands.
- All Accommodation (shared hotel accommodation in the Westman Islands & south coast).
- Transport in our Land Rover Defenders throughout the entire workshop, mainland & on the Islands.
- Return ferry journey to- and from- the Westman Islands.
- Side Zodiac Excursion with local tour operator.
- Photography tuition:
- Dramatic/situational portraiture
- Wildlife Photography (Puffins, Arctic Foxes, sheep & Icelandic Horses)
- Image & exposure analysis in-the-field, as-we-shoot.
- Editing & post-production workflow advice from beginning to end.
- Social media advice, assistance & strategizing.
- Ice cream, where logistics permit.
- Access to the hidden gems of Iceland.
WHATS NOT INCLUDED?
- Your flights to- and from- Iceland.
- Provision of photography equipment.
- Miscellaneous gear that you might need for the workshop.
- Make sure you are well-equipped for the Icelandic climate, it can be very temperamental. See below for more queries and questions.
- Lunch & dinner.
- Eldfell (Westman Islands)
- Tonnes of other sweet secret spots
- Meet at The Space.
- We will get a nice breakfast & a group chat where we will get to know each other before we hit the road & discuss some important photography fundamentals before setting off.
- Head for the Westman Islands.
- Smash out some bangers on the ferry on the way there.
- Puffins, Puffins. Puffins!
- Evening editing session & tutorial.
- Sunrise hike up to the famous Eldfell, of 1973 eruption infamy.
- Incredible Zodiac excursion around some of the outer islands.
- Epic sunset views over the glaciers & down the Islands.
- Basking in the glory of the remarkable summer light.
- Head to the ferry for our journey back to the mainland.
- Sea crossing to the mainland.
- Head into Thorsmork, and amazing network of canyons carved out by glaciers and rivers.
- Glorious views up and down the glaciers and canyons.
- Evening editing session and tutorial
- Head back to Reykjavik along the south coast route, with a difference.
- Our route follows a lesser known scenic route - including some epic photography stops.
- Wake up near reykjavik & head into the city in the morning as we prepare for a solid editing & print tutorials.
- Focussed talk by our special guest @icelandic_explorer!
- Everyone gets an A3 11x16 inch print to take home in a hard tube with them!
SOME QUESTIONS, ANSWERED...
WHAT LEVEL OF PHOTOGRAPHY DO WE REQUIRE?
- We welcome all levels of photography expertise. What we want to see is that you love photography, want to learn more, push it, take it to the next level, & take in the atmosphere and experience of working with other creatives in an epic context.
HOW FIT DO I NEED TO BE?
- Since there we be some hiking and some moderately inclined ascents up to some of the peaks in Thorsmork, we advise a good level of fitness in order to participate in the workshop.
SHOULD I BRING A DRONE?
- If you have one, absolutely! If you don't, consider getting one! Iceland is a fantastic location to drone, especially through the valleys & around the Iands!
HOW MUCH CAMERA GEAR CAN I BRING?
- Bring what you have. In general, consider bringing a range of focal lengths: wide-angle (ex: 24mm) standard (ex: 50mm) and a telephoto (ex: 85mm or above). Having said that, a large part of the workshop will be about making the most out of the equipment that you already have, & making the most out of that.
- DSLR recomended.
- Remote trigger.
- Neutral Density filter (5/10 stop).
WHAT OTHER EQUIPMENT DO I NEED NO BRING?
- Good, sturdy, ankle-or-above hiking boots.
- Waterproof coat (GORE-TEX or similar).
- Base layer.
- Backpack to carry your gear & other things you might need during the day.
WHAT AND WHERE WILL WE EAT?
- Breakfast at our accommodations along the way & then along the way, as we go.
- In the Westman Islands, we will sample a range of local staples & delicacies and have group feast at a specialty restaurant
I'M A VEGETARIAN, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
- Let us know! I't won't be a problem at all, but it is something that we need to know in advance.
WILL I SEE THE NORTHERN LIGHTS?
- The Northern Lights last from mid-august to early April. In the Icelandic summer time, it is simply not dark enough to see the northern lights, there is too much light! Strictly speaking, they ARE there, but we cannot see them.
HOW WILL THE WEATHER BE?
- The Icelandic climate varies considerably, an a season-to-seasonand a year-to-year basis. Having said that, the temperatures will range from 5-15 celsius throughout the day and nights. Wind and precipitation is to be expected.